Monday, July 26, 2010

Outlook on life at 40

Today's my 40th birthday and I feel really good about it. I never thought that would be the case. Certainly not when I turned 20 or 30. I find myself at the happiest, healthiest, most fit and accomplished point in my life, so far. I am in love with my beautiful wife and children. I love coming home to their smiles and spending time with them. I have wonderful friends all over the world. I probably don't even deserve some of them, but there they are, offering their friendship any time I need it. I have probably the best job I've ever had and, as much as it might frustrate me sometimes, I never forget that. I'm actually pretty good at it, too, I think. I try to balance my family, my job and my still fairly new passion for cycling and fitness. All of them so incredibly rewarding.

I've learned a lot about myself in the last few years. A lot of it, from watching and teaching the kids, as well as listening to them and my wife. I've learned how determination is not only my "dominant" quality, but one shared by even our pets. I've learned how scary it is to realize that I am a role model to my kids and that they learn as much or more from what I do than what I say. I've learned how it feels to give and receive unconditional love. I've learned how life is not a destination, not something you do to plan for your retirement, but something to enjoy every day.

Looking forward to this decade and all the several others after it.

No comments: