Thursday, February 11, 2010

Denver

Went to Denver this week for a work conference. Just my second time there. Pretty cool town. Very family oriented, very outdoors oriented. Bicycle lanes even on highways. They are really big into recycling and they show a lot of pride in all of the above. You can see a lot of open spaces, which seems unusual in this day and age for a large metropolitan area. You almost get the feeling that it could quickly change and have a huge population growth and sprawl take over all those ranches,etc. Maybe they have a plan and I'm not aware of it and they are being careful about controlling their growth. Or maybe it's just a relatively high cost of living keeping the sprawl under control. Who knows? Maybe they are trying hard with all the aforementioned cool things to balance their ridiculous pit bull ban.

I'll say this; a bright sunny day makes the dead cold winter seem more manageable.

The Atlanta Thrashers played the Colorado Avalanche on Wednesday night. Due to the generousness of others, I found myself 10 rows behind the benches, wearing my Thrashers jersey and hat. I probably was one of 10 other Thrasher fans in the building. Atlanta scored first and as a reaction, without even thinking, I stood up screaming and cheering. It took me a good 10 seconds to notice that everyone else was quiet and basically looking at me. HA! HA! That sure was an adrenaline rush! The Av's tied, but the Thrashers eventually worked a 3-1 lead, with me cheering them on hard all the way. Until the 3rd period, when Colorado tied the game and sent it into overtime, where they proceeded to score the game winner within 9 seconds of the overtime period starting. I cheered along with the Colorado fans. It was an awesome game and they were all friendly. Awesome time. It was a huge buzz being a fan of the visiting team on a full house. I recommend the experience to any sport fan.

No comments: