This morning, we just hung around and laughed with each other for a while. Once we eventually got up, I made a round of breakfast for dogs and people and, seeing how it looked like such a beautiful day, we decided that we should go out and do something with the dogs.

Kristi suggested that we take the dogs for a hike around Lake Lanier, at the old park that we would go so often when we lived near the area. After a few hours of drinking coffee and "getting ready", we loaded up Marcos and Hardy and Puck into the van (Lula was having a nice day of her own with her dad) and headed up to the lake.
It was really nice to walk around that area. We used to go there all the time. Kristi used to walk there pretty much every day with Lula and the dogs. It looks a little different, with the lake levels being so low these days, but still, it felt familiar.

We set up our little picnic area and played for a while. Marcos had a lot of fun throwing rocks into the water and walking with his froggy boots in the water when the waves came in. The dogs didn't care for getting wet, but Hardy was very intrigued by the waves. They loved walking around and checking things out. As for Kristi and I, I think we both felt the same way; it felt like a pretty special moment. Very peaceful and calm. Just enjoying the afternoon, not only through our own senses, but also through the eyes of Marcos and the dogs.





After our picnic and hike, I offered Marcos and Kristi a "Steak n' Shake" milkshake. I mean, the day was going on so great, that I had to keep it going and throw in something to keep things at a high level. The reaction from the crowd was very positive, so we went for milkshakes, but decided that the dogs would be fine with us going inside and actually having an early dinner with the milkshakes. While we waited for our food, Lula and her dad met us, so Lula got to partake of the delicious food and tasty treats.
You'd think eating a sandwich and having a milkshake is nothing really worth writing about, worth remembering. The thing is, in the context of this day, it just felt so right. We just sat and talked and played with the cardboard cars and stickers that the waiter gave the kids and simply had a beautiful time together. Maybe I'm making too much out of it, but it just seemed like one of those times that you may have had as a kid, that maybe in words it wasn't anything special, but to you, in your memory, it was and you remember that moment from your own childhood, still to this day. THAT's what it felt like. Like one of those moments that you sincerely hope the kids will remember when they are old.
After a drive home where both Marcos and I were taking short naps, and a quick detour to help my mom with her taxes, we returned to our routine at home. Kids running, dogs wanting dinner, cooking for the dogs, taking baths, reading, the noise of the TV, something about Super Bowl, etc. Still, I think we all felt connected. At least I know I did and I hope to have many more nice days like this, even if we don't even leave the house at all or even if a hungry, barking dog makes me get up from bed before 8am on a Sunday.
No comments:
Post a Comment