There's Connor, who just turned 15 years old.

There's Hardy, who is about 3 years old...

...and there's Ballerina.
Things got a little complicated when Ballerina started having problems with Hardy. She did not care to share the attention of the family with him and eventually found it difficult to share the house with him. So, we talked to my brothers and they agreed to give her a home. She is very happy being the Queen at their house, center of all pet attention. She is even happy to come visit and spend a whole day playing with Hardy, without any trouble.
I've been happy too, since I think our (my?) life has been a lot simpler dealing with Connor and Hardy only; two dogs instead of three. Connor, being a senior citizen dog, doesn't require a lot of attention and doesn't spend a lot of energy. Cooking, feeding, arranging for sleeping places, planning for care during long days or trips are all simpler as well.
K's friend, Catherine, rescued a dog from this horrible "shelter", right out of death row. He looks like a 1-year old bulldog puppy. She took it home, right where she has waaaaay too many cats and dogs. She brought him over to meet Hardy and play with the kids last week. Everyone got along really great. I could already see where this story was going, can you?
She asked if we could pet sit on Saturday and stay overnight and, since I was planning on being out most of the day riding my bike, that was an easy decision... "Sure, 'we' can pet sit on Saturday and Sunday!" (Honestly, the pet sitting decision was made before the bike riding decision was made, but both were assumed to be happening from the start).
The sweet puppy got along really well with our dogs and the kids. He learned to use the doggy door and tried his best to be the most lovable dog ever. By Sunday afternoon, we had agreed to foster the doggie to see how things went along. By Monday night, it was declared that there was love for the dog and he needed to stay and we needed to give him a proper name.
I'm not so sure I like life with 3 dogs. It's just more complicated everything. I don't like complicated. I like simple. I spend most of my life trying to achieve simple or work my way so that I can have simple sometime in the future. 3 dogs is not simple, at least compared to 2 dogs. Why would I want to do this? Well, because this dog deserves it. He's just too sweet and nice. Plus K is working really, really hard to make sure all my doggie related anxiety is taken care of. How can I complain?
We were going to the hockey game last night and I decided that I just needed to go with the flow and not let the fact that there's 3 dogs give me anxiety. Just be cool and take things in stride. That's another thing that I spend a lot of time trying to achieve. Anyway, we kept bouncing names for the dog, back and forth and nothing really clicked with all of us. Then, during the game, it came to me: "Puck!" You see, he's white and has a hockey-puck-sized spot on his back and we do love hockey, so it was perfect! (Or so I like to believe).
Anyway, looks like Puck is the newest member of the family and, as long as he stays away from my coffee and doesn't send the poop to visit me (that's another story), I think we'll get along fine.
Meet Puck:


No comments:
Post a Comment